Asia Cup 2023 Final Winner, Runner-up: In the 16th Asia Cup final between two Asian powerhouses, India faced off against Sri Lanka at Colombo’s R Premadasa Stadium. This encounter marked the 9th time that India and Sri Lanka had met in an Asia Cup final. Sri Lanka won the toss and chose to bat first, setting the stage for a historic turn of events.
The defending champions, Sri Lanka, were bowled out for a mere 50 runs in just 15.2 overs. This stood as the lowest score by any team in a One Day International (ODI) match against India. The hero of the moment was Mohammed Siraj, who dismantled the Lankan innings with a stellar performance. Siraj claimed an impressive 6 wickets in just 7 overs, leaving only two Sri Lankan players, Kusal Mendis and Dushan Hemantha, to reach double-digit scores.
India clinched their record 8th Asia Cup title with this remarkable victory. The Men in Blue had previously won the last Asia Cup under Rohit Sharma’s captaincy in 2018, defeating Bangladesh in Dubai. India secured a resounding 10-wicket victory over Sri Lanka in a mere 6.1 overs, marking it as the most significant win in India’s ODI history.
India vs Sri Lanka Asia Cup 2023 Final
Ishan Kishan and Shubman Gill steered their team to victory in the Asia Cup 2023, with India reclaiming the trophy after a five-year hiatus. Despite a rain delay, an unforeseen storm was yet to unfold.
This tempest, known as Mohammed Siraj, tore through the Sri Lankan batting lineup, securing an impressive 6 wickets in just 7 overs. Adding to the pressure, Hardik Pandya snagged 3 crucial wickets, ultimately leading to the Sri Lankan team’s dismissal for a mere 50 runs.
Sri Lanka had earned their spot in the final by narrowly defeating Pakistan by two wickets during the Super Four stage, setting the stage for an eagerly anticipated clash with India. In Sunday’s final, Sri Lanka aimed to match India’s remarkable record of seven Asia Cup victories, marking their second consecutive final appearance and their 11th overall.
The India-Sri Lanka rivalry stands as the most prolific in One Day International (ODI) cricket history, with a total of 166 matches played. Out of these encounters, India has emerged victorious 97 times, while Sri Lanka has secured 57 wins. Additionally, 11 matches concluded with “no result,” and one ended in a tie.
The R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo is renowned for its batting-friendly pitches, favoring teams setting a target rather than those chasing. As the game unfolds, the pitch tends to provide support to spinners. However, a major concern throughout the tournament this year has been the rain, which has disrupted multiple matches.
IND vs SL: Asia Cup 2023 Final Highlights
- Sri Lanka, having won the toss, chose to bat first.
- The commencement of the match was delayed by 40 minutes due to inclement weather.
- On the third delivery of the match, Jasprit Bumrah secured a critical wicket.
- Following that, Mohammed Siraj made a significant impact, claiming four wickets during his second over, placing Sri Lanka in a precarious position.
- In a remarkable display of skill, Mohammed Siraj achieved a six-wicket haul in just seven overs.
- In the 13th over, Hardik Pandya claimed another wicket, reducing Sri Lanka to their final two batsmen, with 40 overs still to be played. He was also the one to clinch the final wicket.
- Sri Lanka endured a devastating collapse, managing a mere 50 runs in 15.2 overs.
- India’s opening pair of Ishan Kishan and Shubman Gill successfully chased down the target with a remarkable 263 balls to spare, establishing a new record.
Asia Cup 2023 Full List Of Award Winners
- Asia Cup 2023 Winner: India (8th title) (Prize Money- $1,50000)
- Asia Cup 2023 runner-up: Sri Lanka (Prize Money- $75,000)
- Asia Cup 2023 Man of the Tournament: Kuldeep Yadav (Prize Money- $15,000)
- Asia Cup 2023 most runs: S Gill (302)
- Asia Cup 2023 Man of the Match (Final): Mohammed Siraj ( Prize Money- $5000)
- Asia Cup 2023 most wickets: M Pathirana (SL)- 11